There are always a lot of things going on in the life of any church, most of which are run by members of the church themselves. At Elim Church Selly Oak we believe that following Jesus includes serving others. When we serve others, we ourselves will grow to be more like Jesus, as well as discovering new gifts and abilities we didn’t know we had.
Each person who serves on one of our teams, whichever team it is, is doing ministry. That’s why we refer to our team members as “ministers”. We want everyone who joins us on a Sunday to understand that ministry isn’t just something that the pastors do, it’s for everyone! If you’re interested in joining a team, check out the information and fill out the form below.
- Worship Team:The Worship Team meets on a Tuesday evening at 7:30pm to practice for Sundays. They start by spending time building relationships and praying for one another before they play. The Worship Team is made up of musicians and sound engineers. All new team members on the sound desk will receive training in how to work the desk. The Worship Team is led by Annie Skett.
- Elim Kids:Elim Kids is our Sunday School. The children go out to Elim Kids after the first few songs of worship. They have fun, play games, sing songs and do crafts, all in an age-appropriate style and focussed on Jesus. All new team members will need to be DBS checked in accordance with our safeguarding policy. Elim Kids is led by Rachel Jacobs.
- Elim Youth: Elim Youth is our Friday night youth club. There are two clubs; one for 11-14s and the other for 15-18s, which meet on alternate weeks. The evening starts in a chill out space, with tuck shop. Some weeks there is a discussion on topics relating to the young people, and other weeks there are different activities. Later the youth go up into the main hall for games. All new team members will need to be DBS checked in accordance with our safeguarding policy. Elim Youth is led by Annie Skett.
- Sunday Youth:On Sundays the young people stay in the service until after communion, then go out to their group. They play some icebreaker games, followed by a time of discussion based on materials provided to the leaders. All new team members will need to be DBS checked in accordance with our safeguarding policy. Sunday Youth is led by Annie Skett.
- Welcome Team:The Welcome Team are the first point of contact for people coming into the building. They greet people at the door in a friendly manner and hand them a copy of Switched On, our bulletin. If anyone requires assistance in any way, the Welcome Team are there to help, whether it is showing them where the toilets are or directing them to information on the Welcome Desk. The Welcome Team is led by Margaret Fell.
- Little Wrigglers:Little Wrigglers is our stay and play group for toddlers and parents. It runs on Tuesday mornings in term time from 10:00-12:00, with lots of toys, games and crafts, food and a story. All new team members will need to be DBS checked in accordance with our safeguarding policy. Little Wrigglers is led by Max Tolley.
- Outreach:Our Outreach Team go out on the streets each month to talk to people about Jesus. The goal is not to preach on the streets, but to engage people in conversation, showing them the love of Jesus by listening to them and praying for them. The Outreach Team is led by Jack Skett.
- ARK Project:The ARK Project is a social action initiative run jointly by Christian Life Centre and Elim Church Selly Oak. It provides foodbank and clothing bank services, as well as a weekly drop in for anyone who needs support. The ARK Project is led by Jess Pritchard.
- Christians Against Poverty:Christians Against Poverty (CAP) is a national ministry which seeks to help people out of debt. We run a CAP debt centre with five other local churches, which is led by Judy Ward.
- Multimedia Team:The Multimedia Team runs all the visuals on a Sunday morning. We have three cameras recording the Sunday gathering, which also provide a live feed on the three screens in the main hall. All new team members receive training in how to operate the equipment. The Multimedia Team is led by Deji Okubadejo.
- Alpha:The Alpha Course is an internationally recognised course on the basics of the Christian faith. Alpha runs over 11 weeks, covering some of the big questions of life and spirituality in a relaxed, informal setting. Guests eat a meal together, listen to a talk and spend time in open discussion on their tables. Alpha is led by Jack Skett.
- Gardening:From time to time, weeds spring up around the church building. There is no specific team for gardening, but any help is welcome in tidying up the area around our building. The contact for gardening is Tony Pash.
- Pack Down:Every Sunday after the service the chairs are cleared away and stacked in a corner, to provide space for Little Wrigglers and Friday Youth, which both happen in the main hall. The contact for Pack Down is Jack Skett.
- Breakfast:Every Sunday we meet together for breakfast. The team provide bacon, sausages, cereals, toast, coffee, tea and juice. The Breakfast team is coordinated by Jack Skett.